Monday, October 29, 2012

5 Real Food Meals For When You're Stuck Without Electricity

It's a bit hard to focus on writing about healthy eating, health living, and nutrition today. Hurricane Sandy has had my complete attention all day. Most of my family is in the eye of the storm, scattered through out Brooklyn & Staten Island in New York, New Jersey, and Philadelphia. As I'm writing, I haven't talked to my grandparents since 5pm PST, when I found out that they had lost power and their cell phone reception was spotty. Luckily, they should be fine since their house is located in an inland area of Staten Island. Others are not as lucky.

As I watch from my cushy couch 3,000 miles away, I hate that I can not be there to help not only my loved ones, but others who are lost without electricity. Reports of hospitals on fire and failing backup generators have me in a solemn mood as I imagine the many families that will be effected by this vicious storm. Also, I think about no matter how as much we try to control our surroundings, our food, and ourselves, we will never be in control of mother nature. She will always have us under her thumb.

In the spirit of nourishing ourselves in light of mother nature's destruction, I want to share 5 real food recipes you can enjoy without electricity. If you don't have these ingredients at home, I suggest stocking up because you never know when mother nature will strike and you will be stranded at home for a few days.

Mini Real Food Emergency Shopping List
Wild Planet Sardines
Chia Seeds
Bottled Water (preferably in glass, but I think plastic is okay for emergencies)
Nuts (sprouted and dehydrated)
Seeds (Hemp, Sunflower)
Goji Berries
Artisana Nut Butters
Fig Food Co. Organic Pureed Pumpkin
Coconut Oil
Coconut Butter
GoGo Rice Cooked Quinoa
Spices
SeaSnax Raw Unroasted Seaweed


5 Real Food Meals For When You're Stuck Without Electricity

No Electricity Chia Porridge
Ingredients:
3 tbsp Chia Seeds
1/2 cup & 1 tbsp of water
1 tbsp Goji Berries
1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
1/2 tbsp raisins (optional)

1. Mix all ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes
2. Enjoy!

Harissa Sardines & Quinoa "Couscous"
Ingredients:
1 package of Wild Planet Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp of The Spice House Harissa Spread
1 Package of GoGo Rice Organic Quinoa

1. Mix all ingredients together
2. Enjoy!


Seaweed & Nut Butter Rolls
Ingredients:
1 Package of SeaSnax
2 packages of Artisana Nut Butters

1. Spread Nut Butter on Nori Sheet
2. Roll
3. Enjoy!

Coco-Nutty Date Sammies
Ingredients:
4 Dates
8 Almonds
2 tsp of Coconut Butter

1. Remove Pit from Dates
2. Insert 2 Almond
3. Spread a little bit of Coconut Butter on Date
4. Enjoy!


It's Kind of Like Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients:
1/2 package of Fig Food Co Organic Pumpkin
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice

1. Mix all ingredients and mix well for 5 minutes or until coconut oil is melted
2. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Great post! We shared with our Facebook fans. Thanks so much for including us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ali! I appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete

Cooking.com