Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shabby Chicing It!

We've had this folding book shelf for almost 8 years!


We bought it on craigslist.org from a medical student as UCSF when my husband and I moved in together. It's been laying underneath the bed in the guest bedroom for about 3 years now, since we haven't found a good place for it in our house. I decided that it would be fun to use it for my first destressing project.

On a recent trip to Michael's, which is conveniently located a block from our house, I found this antiquing kit.

The instructions are pretty easy: paint, sand, and glaze. I laid down an old sheet in my living room in an attempt to keep things tidy. Note to self: paint splatters! I proceeded to paint the the shelf.

 I ended up doing three coats in total over 2 days. Here's what it looked like after the final coat of paint.
 
And here's a close up.
 The next day I sanded the edges. I tried doing it with the sander provided, but it was really crappy. So I ended up using some old emery boards. 
Then I applied the glaze. The process is to brush on the glaze and then quickly wipe it with a damp cloth. I used an old pillow case, but I would recommend using something smaller. Here's what it looked like after the glaze and with a couple of stamps on it.
I added some more stamps, which I also bought at Michael's. Both the ink and stamps at Tim Holtz Brand. Here is a the final product!

My apologies for the sad photos. I promise to use my DSLR from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking.com