Monday, October 1, 2012

Celebrating Barlean's Week With An Amazing Giveaway plus Recipe for Coconut Carob Mousse!

This is a really exciting week here at A Crafty Gourmet. First I get to announce the winner of my Unbleached Paper Products Giveaway. The lucky winner is Monica! I will contact you to get your address and will ship you the prize package.

Next, this week is officially Barlean's Week! The whole week, I will be showcasing Barlean's and their wonderful lines of products, including flax oil, fish oil, chia seeds, greens powder, and their unique olive leaf extract. I'm also giving away a prize package filled with everything that I'm showcasing! Scroll to the bottom for official rules!


I have been a fan of Barlean's since I was in high school when I used the oil to make my own dressings with the flax oil, which I will share later this week. And since then, their line of products has significantly expanded and just recently, they've launched their organic chia seeds.

The chia seed is an ancient aztec superfood. It's a seed that is very high in protein and fiber, as well as heart healthy omega 3's. It's also packed with essential minerals such as phosphorous, manganese, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium.

Chia seeds have many health benefits:

1. Help you feel full: Because chia seeds absorb 10 times their weight in water, they form into a gel that helps provide the bulk in a meal and in your belly

2. Helps hydrate: The bulky gel helps provide hydration. If you're and athlete, you can mix the gel with coconut water to make your own recovery gel that will help with electrolyte balance and thirst

3. Help control blood sugar: Some studies have shown that chia seeds slow the absorption of simple sugars, and so help keep blood sugars stable.

Besides baking with them, one of my favorite ways to enjoy chia seeds is in a pudding or mousse. To highlight, how amazing these little seeds are, I've created a Coconut Carob Mousse.

Coconut Carob Mousse
Ingredients
1 1/2 cup Coconut Milk (I use Native Forest because they guarantee that their cans are BPA free)
2 tbsp raw carob powder
2 tbsp maple syrup or agave or raw honey. You can also use 5-8 drops of Stevia if you prefer
2 tsp of vanilla powder or 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1/3 cup Barlean's Organic Chia Seeds
2 tsp of Coconut Cream for Topping
5 raspberries for Topping

Process:
1. Pour milk into a bowl and mix to get rid of any clumps of coconut cream

2. Add carob powder and mix until all clumps of carob are gone. You can use the back of your spoon and push the clumps again the wall of the bowl

3. Add sweetener and vanilla and mix well

4. Add chia seeds and mix well, removing seeds from the walls of the bowl

5. Let stand in refrigerator for 10 minutes

6. Empty into a cup or bowl and finish with coconut cream and raspberries

7. Enjoy!

To be entered into the contest you must do the following things:

1. Like me on Facebook

2. Leave a one comment here for every product in the prize package (6) and let me know what interests you about it. Every comment is an additional chance to win

For more chances to win:
1. Go to Barlean's Facebook page and Like them

2. Follow me on Twitter

3. Follow Barlean's on Twitter

4. Follow me on Pinterest

5. Share with your friends and let me know via a comment (you can do this daily)

Again, you must a comment for each entry.

Contest will run from October 1st until October 15th. I will announce a winner on October 16th. Good Luck!

93 comments:

  1. liked on fb (vanessa martinez)
    vaidas4444 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Good Luck! Remember you can share with your friends for more chances!

      Delete
  2. liked Barlea on FB
    vaidas4444 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. following you on twitter @vaidas4444

    ReplyDelete
  4. following barlean on Twitter @vaidas4444

    ReplyDelete
  5. following on pinterest (vanessa martinez)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vanessa! For more chances to win! Share with your friends. Good Luck!

      Delete
  6. I'm a health coach and Barlean's is definitely a brand of choice. I take my clients on shopping trips to different health food stores int heir areas and Barlean's Flax Oil and their EPA/DHA oil in capsules are pretty amazing.

    I'm also vegan so this recipe is coming to life as soon as I pick up some Chia Seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola! I'm hoping you can find their brand at your local shops.

      Delete
  7. I have heard so many good things about Olive Leaf and want to try out barleans! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Good Luck! Remember you can share with your friends for more chances to win!

      Delete
  8. LIKED you on Facebook! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com (under HoneyBee Holistics - my personal page)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shared this on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/spicedupvanilla/posts/387081951365485

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try the OTHER Olive Leaf Complex, which I think it is pills? Easy to take if it is pill form! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked you on facebook and followed you on Twitter. https://www.facebook.com/spicedupvanilla / @purblueple

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE greens! I used to take them all of the time! Great energy booster!Barleans I am sure makes a great one and would love to try their version! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am curious about the Omega -to-go! My husband is quite forgetfull, uh-huh, about taking his in the morning and I think this would be good to tuck in his lunch so he doesnt forget!! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. flax oil: I've tried it and love it and want more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I had bad eczema I tried the flax oil on it daily and it helped it clear up! I could only imagine what it would do if I ATE it! Excited to try it out! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. fish oil: looking forward to trying Barleans to go packs swirl flavors

    ReplyDelete
  17. Following you on twitter (HoneyBeeHolisti ) honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. chia seeds: haven't tried them yet, looking forward to trying Barleans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LIKED Barleans a long time ago on Facebook and that is how I found your blog!! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just liked you on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since you're anonymous, I won't know how to contact you in case you win.

      Delete
  21. greens powder: can never get enough greens!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have heard so MANY awesome things about chia seeds! I am interested in trying them in my smoothies! AND trying out your awesome recipe too! honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. olive leaf extract: I've used Barleans olive leaf throat spray. Excellent! Give me some extract and some more beneficial ways I can use it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Shared on my Facebohoneybeeholistics at yahoo dot comok page for more exposure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was supposed to have my email at the END! LOL - honeybeeholistics at yahoo dot com - I shared on my page so hope you get some new likes!

      Delete
  25. I've wanted to try chia for awhile now, b/c of the fiber and protein boost. I am diabetic and also eat mostly vegetarian so always looking to ad extra protein where I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to put email also:
      laurakay0001@aol.com

      Delete
  26. I would like to try the "greens" mixed into a protein smoothies. I had gastric bypass surgery last year (120 pounds down, 20 to go!) and one of the side effects of that surgery is that getting enough nutrients is an everyday endeavor (partly because of the maladsorption caused by bypass) so good quality supplements are a must. of course, it's important for EVERYone to get good nutrition everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great stuff in terms of being nutrient dense! Is this Laura? Just want to make sure in case you win.

      Delete
  27. oops, I just left 2 comments and didn't realize I had to put e-mail address in there:

    liked you on FB also......

    laurakay0001@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have used greens powders before, but have not yet tried Barleans. I do, however use the Omega Swirl products and love the lemon and the orange cream so far. I have read much about Chia seeds, but not yet tried them personally. Yesterday, after reading about Barleans Olive Leaf products, I went to one of my local favorite health stores and purchased the liquid and the throat spray...anxious to use them. I have not tried Barleans Flax oil, but have taken flax supplements in the past. I would be interested in trying their flax oil product, although some of their Omega Swirls have flax oil in them. I can honestly say that every Barleans product I have tried, I love! Thanks for the opportunity to win some products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all really good and high quality stuff. You should definitely check it out! The greens are very nutrient dense and the chia seeds are great.

      Delete
  29. Liked you on facebook kirstengrier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just tried the chia seeds today for the first time. I didn't know how to eat them so I stirred them into my yogurt. They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like Barleans on Facebook kirstengrier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I follow you on Twitter @KirGrier

    ReplyDelete
  33. I follow you on Pinterest kirstengrier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. My kids take the Omega Swirl Lemon every day. I would love for them to try the key lime one. kirstengrier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to review the key lime tomorrow, but I tried it. it's delicious!

      Delete
  35. I would love to try the Olive Leaf Extract, especially because of the Immune Support for Seasonal Wellness!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would love to try the Flax Oil. Anything to get more Omega-3! kirstengrier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. The Greens look great, especially since they are GMO kirstengrier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love Barleans! Great family business. We are lucky to live in the same town so we get ours at the shop locally. My girls and I use the omega swirl, flax and greans. The greans are great in smoothies. Even my "green" phobic daughter will happily slurp up her berry greens. I have been using coconut oil for years and Barlean's is by far the best tasting. I can't stand seafood it makes me ill. But I can take the omega lemon and don't tast one hint of fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just posted a fruit leather recipe which my daughter loved!

      Delete
  39. I love, love, love Barlean's! Especially how they promote feeding Real Food to kids under 4 years, even though that means forfeiting a part of their market for Omega Swirls! And I love you too for spreading Goodness! ~Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've dried their stuff before and loved it! The Omega Swirls to go look lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'd love to try the olive leaf supplements as well

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have another green we use but I'd be willing to try theirs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All their stuff is great. I've been impressed. Don't forget with share with you friends for more chances to win!

      Delete
  43. I followed you on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I followed you on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I already follow Barlean's, love their products!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have the Barlean's chia seeds and use them in smoothies and yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have sampled two of the Omega Swirls and LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have used flax seed oil, but just not Barlean's and also not too often. I would love to learn how to use it in more things!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have read and heard awesome things about the olive leaf complex and would definitely be interested in trying it out, since I am from Wisconsin and the cold season is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have tried the chocolate greens and it was delicious! I think the greens are a great way to get your vitamins and nutrients that you may not be getting in your every day life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Don't forget to share with your friends for more chances to win.

      Delete
  51. Liked you on fb (terri)
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the health benefits of flax oil and take it twice a day!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. I have chia seeds everyday- love how the fiber helps keep me full and satisfied- i put it in smoothies and make chia puddings, or add to my oatmeal!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love how i can get so many nutrients from a green powder- i often use to make an afternoon drink, but i would love to try barlean's
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Liked barleans on fb (terri)
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Yay! I followed all the steps and liked/followed everything.


    I used to take fish oil, but stopped, because oh so many terrible reasons/excuses. I love the benefits though, so would love to check out Barleans Omega Swirl To Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I have only heard of Chia Pet, so Chia Seeds look really fun!! I love that they have so many benefits and seem really fun to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I take krill oil right now but would love to try flax oil

    ReplyDelete
  59. I use Krill oil but would love to try Barlean's fish oil,

    ReplyDelete
  60. I use chia seeds almost daily in my yogurt. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I have looked at greens powders in the HF store. Would love to try Barleans.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I follow you on Facebook
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. I've heard about the benefits of chia seeds! Omega-3!
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  64. I have never taken fish oil before, but it has so many benefits, so I would love to try it!
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  65. Never heard of Olive Leaf extract before, but I'm always in need of immune support.
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. Flaxseed oil is such an amazing superfood - I'm especially happy about its heart and skin benefits.
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. I'm curious about trying the greens powder. It's an easy way to get nutrients, and it looks like its a probiotic as well.
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. I liked Barleans FB page
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I follow you on twitter @narniafan0732
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. I follow Barleans on Twitter @narniafan0732
    marilyn0732@aim.com

    ReplyDelete
  71. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comOctober 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM

    Liked you on fb (terri)

    ReplyDelete
  72. Would love to try chia seeds to add more fiber and all the omegas and protein! Chia pudding sounds great!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  73. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comOctober 15, 2012 at 9:07 PM

    Liked barleans on fb (terri)

    ReplyDelete
  74. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comOctober 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM

    Barleans greens powder looks great! Would be awesome to get so many high quality greens in my smoothie!

    ReplyDelete

Cooking.com