Today, I just had to make bread, Coconut Cashew Bread! I haven't had bread for a couple of months, since I've been grain free. I don't normally have bread cravings, but there were a few posts on my Facebook feed today that made my mouth water. I just couldn't resist! I had to bake bread.
Luckily for me, I have Nourishing Meals, the new cookbook from Ali Segersten and Tom Malterre of Whole Life Nutrition! In the book, they have lots of recipes for gluten-free breads and even a few grain-free recipes. I adapted their recipe for Coconut Almond Bread and made Coconut Cashew Bread.
This recipe is by far easier than I could imagined bread making to be! And not only is this recipe Grain-Free, but it's Paleo and Refined Sugar-Free! Triple score!
Coconut-Cashew Bread
(adapted from Nourishing Meals by Ali Segersten & Tom Malterre)
Wet Ingredients:
5 Pastured Eggs
1/2 cup cashew butter
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
Process:
1. Combine all wet ingredients in a food processer and process for 2 minutes
2. Add dry ingredients and process for 4 minutes
3. Add to a greased loaf pan or a nonstick loaf pan
4. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes on top rack
5. Cool on Wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove bread from pan and continue to cool
6. Enjoy!
Shared at: Farm Table Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Scrumptious Sundays Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Whole Foods Wednesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Party Wave Wednesday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Gluten Free Fridays


It might be paleo, but definitely not low carb.
ReplyDeleteHere is the carb count from my calculations:
DeleteApple sauce: 7 gms
Cashew Butter: 35 gms
Maple syrup: 13 gms
Eggs: 5 gms
Coconut flour: 22 gms (probably more)
Flax seed flr: 12 gms
Arrowroot: 14 gms
Total 108 gms
I can't tell how many slices the bread yields, but it looks similar to a bread that I make out of almond butter. The almond butter bread has about 90 gms of carbs in each loaf, which comes out to about 7 gms per slice.
The whole loaf has 2 tbsp of arrowroot, 1tbsp maple syrup, and 1/2 cashew butter. I think one slice serving is pretty low carb in comparison to most bread.
ReplyDeleteI would say the 7gms a serving is low-carb, no?
ReplyDeleteThis looks yummy! What size is the loaf pan you used?
ReplyDeleteI am definitely going to try making this-- it looks great!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful loaf of bread! Got this pinned to the Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest and also tweeted it out! :)
ReplyDeleteCindy