Thursday, November 29, 2012

Almost Paleo Pizza With Grain-Free Pizza Crust

Pizza: probably one of the most craved foods for people following a Paleo diet. Today, I satisfied my craving, but the pizza was not completely Paleo friendly. I choose to follow the 80/20 rule, although for me its more like 90/10. I don't believe in dogmatism and I'm certainly not a hard liner. Getting to the Paleo diet has been a process of self-experimentation to relieve my severe pain and other symptoms. Chris Kresser, L.Ac speaks about this exact point in a great article  he wrote a couple of years ago about food fascism and the 80/20, and having had an eating disorder in the past, I try to make sure that I stay open and flexible with my food choices even when I am restricting various ingredients.




And so, while the crust, sauce, and toppings were completely Paleo friendly, the cheese was Daiya, non-dairy "cheese" that melts. Here is a list of Daiya's ingredients:

Filtered water, tapioca and /or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto, titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).

These ingredients aren't necessarily all "real food."  But the fact is, I can't have any dairy or I get such horrible arthritic pain that I can barely move. I am willing to eat a little fake cheese and have a pizza vs. being in pain and feeling like I'm denying myself. So, I bought the Daiya cheese...

So now off to the recipe:

Paleo Pizza Crust
2 1/2 cups sunflower seed flour (soaked and dehydrated) Empowered Sustenance has a great recipe
3 pastured eggs
2 tbsp arrowroot
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (corn and aluminum free)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp sea salt

Process:
1. Preheat oven to 425
 
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl



3. Add eggs and using you hands mix well. "Dough" will be very gooey 




  
4. Spread dough very thinly (it rises substantially) on a piece of parchment paper



5.  Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes



6. Remove and add toppings. I used a raw artichoke pate from Italy, anchovies, Daiya cheese, and basil







7. Bake for 6 minutes 




   

3 comments:

  1. Artichoke pate, anchovies and basil... what a delicious combination! And yet another use for the sun-flour--you are awesomely creative, Gaby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! I love you sun-flour recipe as you can tell! I just need to get a better grinder to get a finer ground flour. Thanks for not judging my "cheese" choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crust looks amazing!!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again this week!

    This week is sponsored by Sugar and Spice Market! They are giving away a package of their gluten free sugar cookie mix and a package of their gluten free pancake/waffle mix! It is just in time for the holidays!

    Link up starts tomorrow (thursday) at 7:05pm eastern time! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Cooking.com