Saturday, July 28, 2012

21-Day Detox Day 1: Broccoli & Kohlrabi Day!

The Cleanse I am doing was designed by Dr. Melissa Ponce and some of her peers. I found Dr. Melissa through several online searches and all fingers pointed to her when it came time to decide who to work with. She is a chiropractor who uses muscle testing to determine a treatment plan and what needs to be addressed. She is very intuitive and is extremely passionate about health and well-being. She's my kind of people!

The first part of my cleanse actually began a month ago when we first met and she suggested I give up all dairy and grains from my diet. Echoing Jenny Crissman from 8 years ago, she suggested this would help get me to feeling my best. I would not be able to do this 21-day cleanse had I not given up dairy and grains first.

Based on the plan she designed for me, for the first seven days, I can choose two green vegetables a day, prepared any way I wish. I can use olive oil, ghee, coconut oil, Bragg's raw apple cider, and unrefined salt to prepare the meals. I can also use unlimited herbs, garlic, and ginger. For day one, I chose broccoli and kohlrabi.

I think of broccoli as cabbage's Rastafarian cousin. Packed with vitamin-C and fiber, it's been shown to have anti-carcinogenic properties and is ideal for prevention of heart disease. It is a natural source for sulfur, iron, and B vitamins, which are essential for the nervous system.In Traditional Chinese Medicine, broccoli is believed to have cooling and diuretic properties and is good for inflammatory conditions of the eyes.

I paired the broccoli with an herb I grew up eating, sorrel.  Sorrel is a herb with a lemony flavor that has anti-parasitic properties.

Broccoli & Sorrel Soup

Ingredients:
3 Heads of Broccoli (leave the stalk)
1 Bunch of Sorrel
1-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Large Garlic Clove
2 Tbsp Garlic
Celtic Salt (to taste)















Process:
1. Fill a pot with enough water to cover the broccoli and add unrefined salt. I prefer Celtic Salt, which also provides 
 2. Set on the stove to boil

3. While the water is boiling, set a pan to heat (medium). Once pan is heated, add oil and then add chopped garlic and ginger.




4. Once garlic and ginger have slightly browned (5 mins), add chopped sorrel.


 5. Once broccoli is soft. Place broccoli heads and 5-6 ladles of cooking water to a Vitamix or blender and blend on high for 3-4 mins.
 6. Add sorrel, garlic, and ginger and blend for another minute. Pout into a container or bowl and garnish with cilantro and olive oil.

The soup was so filling that I wasn't hungry at all until 3 hours later. For lunch, I used the broccoli stalks to make a broccoli and kohlrabi slaw.

Kohlrabi is a very good therapeutic vegetable in traditional Chinese medicine. It is believed to improve qi circulation and helps treat indigestion and blood sugar imbalances. It's also supposed to help deal with a hangover (so add this to you juice the morning after).

Broccoli & Kohlrabi Slaw

Ingredients
3 Broccoli Stalks
2 Kohlrabi
3 Tbsp Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tbsp Unrefined Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Cilantro


1. Clean and peel kohlrabi and broccoli (if you don't you will get hard pieces of skin in your mouth)


2. Using the shredding attachment your food processor, shred broccoli and kohlrabi
3. Add vinegar, olive oil, parsley, and cilantro and mix well



I packed up my meals for the day and was ready to start my cleanse!

The first day went pretty smoothly, except for the stomach bug that swept through the family at the end of the day. Both hubby and I were down for the count and passed out at 9pm. I think because of the bug, I didn't really have an appetite all day; this  made it much easier to handle this cleanse. Additionally, I am drinking two shakes a day that Dr. Melissa gave me. I am finding that the shakes are very filling and last me a few hours between meals. I didn't experience any significant changes in my mood. The most significant change in mood I felt was when I removed dairy and grains from my diet. I became significantly more clear headed and upbeat. I literally felt like a weight had been lifted. Since then I have lost 5 lbs.

1 comment:

  1. where do you buy sorrel? I absolutely love it but the only kind I've been able to find is canned/in a jar.

    ReplyDelete

Cooking.com