Monday, July 23, 2012

Sweet & Sour Rhubard Jam (Sugar Free, Grain-Free, Casein Free)

I grew up eating Rhubarb and have always enjoyed it's tart flavor. Often my mom would bake with it adding strawberries. Rhubarb is a funny thing. It's a vegetable that is often paired with fruit to deliver a sour punch in a dessert. It looks like a celery's red cousin, but is actually part of a weed family and closely related to buckwheat. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Rhubarb has been cultivated for it's laxative and cleansing properties. I love it because it reminds me of my childhood and I also think it's pretty serendipitous that I am craving Rhubarb the week prior to my cleanse. I guess my inner goddess approves. The plant has a short season and is usually only readily available Apr-July.  Since the season is nearing its close, I made a little jam to sooth my craving.

Ingredients:
4 Stalks of Organic Rhubarb
1 Tbsp of Ghee or Coconut Oil
1.5 Tbsp of of Raw Honey
Vanilla (Optional)

The Steps:
1. Wash the stalks and cut them into about 1/2 inch slices
2. Heat 1 Tbsp of Ghee or Coconut Oil in a non-stick skillet (I prefer using my Le Creuset casserole pan) on medium heat
3. Once ghee/oil is heated. throw in Rhubarb and sauteed. Lower to medium low if needed to prevent sticking.
4. Once Rhubarb is soft, add honey and stir
5. Turn off heat and add some vanilla powder or extract if desired
6. Enjoy alone, on ice cream, sorbet, or any thing you prefer!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking.com