Monday, August 20, 2012

21-Day Detox Day 19: Offal is not awful, I promise: Delicata Squash & Beef Kidney Stew, Root Vegetables Roasted with Lamb

Sorry that's its been a few days since I've posted, but I have been on vacation with my family. I haven't had a free moment to breathe until now!

I've always loved offal, aka organ meats. Growing up in a Russian/Jewish immigrant home, I was no stranger to liver and kidneys. In fact, one of my favorite things to eat was that one chicken kidney that was left at the bottom of the pot when my mom cooked chicken soup. I really loved the texture. That's the thing to most offal-you really must enjoy the unusual texture prior to even thinking about flavor.

One recent addition into my diet, based on the suggestion of my acupuncturist, Vincent Kan, are beef kidneys. Beef kidneys contain a very large amount of several essential B vitamins, specifically B12, B2 (riboflavin), and B6. B vitamins are extremely important for the proper functioning of the immune and nervous system. A B12 deficiency can impair cognitive functioning, memory loss, neuropathy, and even psychosis. Three ounces of beef kidneys provide more than 800% of your daily required amount. I think that buying an organic pastured raised kidney for less than five bucks a pound is much cheaper than buying high quality B supplement (and tastier).

Well cooked kidneys will have a texture similar to well done liver with a little bit of added crunch. They can been grilled or broiled, but I preferred to have mine stewed.

Delicata Squash & Beef Kidney Stew
Ingredients:
1 lb beef kidney
Juice of one lemon
1 onion
2 celery stalk
1/2 a medium sized Delicata squash
1 tbsp ghee
5 springs of parsely
3 tsp Celtic salt
2 tsp Choucroute Garni 
1 cup beef marrow stock 

Process: 
1. Soak kidney for 3-4 hours in the juice of 1 lemon and enough water to cover kidney


 

2. After 3-4 hours, remove kidney and cut into small pieces, discarding the fat in the middle




3.  Heat Ghee in a Dutch Oven





 4. Add sliced onions


  

5. Add cubed squash, parsley, and celery, spices, and salt and stew for ten minutes



  

6. Add cubed kidney and stock


7. Bring everything to a boil and reduce to low heat. Cook for 50 minutes.
8. Enjoy!


I enjoyed this stew for lunch.

For breakfast, I cooked Kale in my beef marrow stock and added a pastured egg to the bowl of "soup."


For dinner, I roasted root vegetables with lamb. I ate the lamb the following day, since I had my 4oz of protein for lunch.

Root Vegetables Roasted with Lamb
Ingredients:
3/4 lb of pastured grass fed lamb
2 rutabagas
3 carrots
3 tsp Celtic Salt
2 tsp Sunny Greek Islands Seasoning



Process:
1. Peel carrots and rutabagas
2. Cut into 1 inch chunks, placed on unbleached parchment paper in a baking pan












 3. In a bowl, add 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp seasoning and coat lamb. Then place lamb on top of vegetables



4. Add the rest of seasoning over everything
5. Cook on 350 for 1 hour, remove lamb so it doesn't overcook
6. Continue cooking vegetables for another 40 minutes.
7. Remove and mix lamb back into the vegetables.
8. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Can you also post pictures of the dishes after they've been cooked?
    I'll have to try the kidney recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly will. I keep forgetting to take photos and just sit down to eat. I will be more mindful and take more pictures. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Cooking.com