Sunday, September 16, 2012
Grain & Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas! The Best Waffles Ever & Swiss Chard Hash
Weekend morning breakfasts at our house are usually kind of generic, a version of eggs and toast. So when this weekend the hubby asked me to make him something special for breakfast, I came up with two grain-free (both), Paleo (Hash Only), GAPS (Hash Only) and SCD (Hash Only), friendly recipes that will surely satisfy. Saturday morning, I made a Swiss Chard Hash. Then, on Sunday, I was craving waffles, so I made my usual waffle recipe but substituted grain-free flours. The waffles turned out great! For toppings, I used Tula's CocoYO and my spiced plum compote.
Swiss Chard Hash
Ingredients
1 bunch Swiss Chard
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp The Spice House Spanish Smoked Paprika
4 eggs
Process:
1. Heat ghee in a pan
2. Chop Swiss Chard finely
3. Once ghee has melted add Swiss Chard, salt and paprika
4. Saute Chard for 6-8 minutes
5. Add eggs in sunny-side up fashion, cover, cook for 5-7 minutes or until whites are fully cooked
6. Enjoy!
Grain-Free Vegan Waffles
Ingredients
1/2 cup chestnut flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 cup water
2 tbsp raw honey
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Process:
1. Mix all dry ingredients together and separately mix all wet ingredients together
2. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium speed with a mixer
3. Scoop heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto oiled waffle maker
4. Depending on your waffle maker, cook for 8-10 minutes
5. Add your favorite waffle syrup or toppings
6. Enjoy!
If you are interested in learning more about going grain-free, Jill at Real Food Forager is teaching a class to help you. If you want to sign up for the class use the coupon code NOGRAINS and receive an additional $20off. The coupon expires September 25th. And don't forget about my Spices Contest!
Labels:
breakfast recipes,
GAPS,
gluten free,
Going grain free,
Grain-Free,
Paleo,
SCD,
Tula's CocoYo,
vegan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, the hash looks amazing, i'll probably try it out next weekend. Sadly though the waffles are nowhere near SCD legal and are not quite paleo legal either. Potato starch, buckwheat flour, chestnut flour and baking powder are all on the illegal SCD list.
ReplyDeleteHi, I've made some edits to prevent confusion. I've read a number of different sources about buckwheat and paleo and tradtionalists say no way, but others have said that it was ok. In terms of SCD, I've also read that many people introduce buckwheat and chestnut flour with no symptoms. Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it.
ReplyDelete