Since the hubby and I have decided to limit how often we eat out, I decided to spice things up for our Saturday night dinner. Why shouldn't we enjoy restaurant quality food in the comfort of our home?
I paid a visit to my favorite butcher shop this afternoon, and was excited to find they had veal sweetbreads in stock. As I've mentioned before, sweetbreads are my favorite food. I really wanted to make this dinner special. I spent the a few hours thinking about how I could combine what's in my fridge to create a really unique and tasty dish. For the past two weeks, my CSA box was filled with plums and we haven't had the chance to eat them, so I decided to make a spiced plum compote and then reduce that compote as a sauce for the sweetbreads. That seemed special enough to me.
Spiced Plum Compote
Ingredients:
10 plums (cut in half)
3 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamon pods
1 cup of water
1 tbsp raw honey
Process:
1. Place all ingredients in a pot or dutch oven
2. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 1hr
Smokey Crispy Sweetbreads with Spiced Plum Sauce & Tangy Broccolini
Ingredients:
1lb Veal Sweetbreads
1/8 cup chestnut flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tsp Celtic salt
1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 tbsp ghee
1 bunch broccolini
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
Process:
1. Earlier in the day, bring a pot of water to boil and cook sweetbreads for 20 minutes
2. Remove sweetbreads and place in a airtight container to cool for several hours
2. Later, place 2 tsp salt, paprika, and chestnut flour in a bowl and add sweetbreads and mix
3. Heat ghee in a pan and add sweetbreads
4. Cook for 5-6 minutes
5. In another pan, steam broccolini for about 10 minutes or until desired texture
6. While sweetbreads & broccolini are cooking, take 1/2 cup of spiced plum compote and reduce on high heat until thickened (10-12 minutes), stir often to prevent burning
6. Lay sweetbreads over sauce on plate with broccolini on the side
7. Enjoy!
It's that time of year again, plums are delicious in abundance. Will try this recipe next week.
ReplyDelete