I don't often get excited about nutrition and cookbooks, but Practical Paleo is a pretty amazing book. It's not wonder it's been on the New York Times bestseller list for 3 weeks in a row. If you haven't gotten yourself a copy, you are missing out and here are 5 reasons why:
1. It has over 120 easy recipes all that are gluten-,grain-,legume-,dairy- & refined-sugar-free.
The recipes are well organized by meal type: breakfast, sides & salads, treats & sweets, also by protein type. Some delicious recipes include Apple Streusel Egg Muffins, Nori Salmon Handroll, Baked Beets with Fennel, and Nutty Bacon Bark (yes! bacon candy)
2. It has multiple 30-Day Meal Plans to help support recovery from a number of health issues such as autoimmune conditions, digestive health, blood-sugar regulation, thyroid health, cancer recovery, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, fat loss, athletic performance, and general health
Each meal plan has a specific shopping list as well as a list of useful supplements that you could be taking for your condition. Additionally, a symptom checklist allows you to determine which diet is best for you. Finally Practical Paleo provides specific lifestyle suggestions to help you achieve your goals, such as adding more superfoods and avoiding fasting when trying to regulate blood sugar.
3. It has beautiful colorful guides such as: Guide to Paleo Foods, Stocking a Paleo Pantry, and Guide to Food Quality
If you are every confused about what you should be eating, these colorful guides help you on your trip to the grocery store. The Guide to Paleo foods even highlights items that are considered to be nightshades and can aggravate arthritic conditionals such as gout and arthritis. The Guide to Stocking a Paleo Pantry helps you make sure that you have plenty of grab-and-go foods while you are trying to establish your health, reminding you to have canned sardines, coconut milk, and plenty of nuts on hand. Having a well stocked pantry also ensures that if you happen to lose power, like many on the East Coast, you still have plenty nutrient dense foods to enjoy. I have some recipe suggestions here. Finally, the Guide to Food Quality helps explain terms like pastured-raised, cage-free, natural, and naturally raised.
4. It has really pretty pictures. What's a cookbook without amazing photography? I often spend more time looking at the pictures in cookbook then I do actually cooking the recipes. Practical Paleo has it's share of food p0rn!
5. Finally, Practical Paleo doesn't just provide delicious easy recipes, Diane Sanfillipo explains why "everything we've been taught about good nutrition is wrong."
Practical Paleo dissects all of the recent US Dietary Guidelines such as increasing low-fat dairy intake while limiting full-fat, using oils instead of solid fats, and consuming grains. She explains in layman's terms why these recommendations are causing Americans to not only be overweight but to also be very unhealthy. Diane also provides a science lesson on how our bodies process carbs, proteins, and fats and why the Paleo diet works for not just weight loss but also improved health.
I was really impressed with this book. Not only is it well written and beautifully illustrated, but it provides important, relevant information. I can attest to how much of a difference a paleo-centered diet can make. In the months that I have been grain free, I have never felt better. Practical Paleo will now be my go-to book for easy, simple, and quick Paleo recipes. Practical Paleo is available on Amazon for $23.97! You can go get yourself a copy or you can win a copy in my Practical Paleo Giveaway!
To be entered in the contest, you must first be a subscriber to my blog. You can subscribe via email on the top right corner. Next follow Rafflecopter's easy instructions!
I am relatively new to Paleo and would love to read this book and cook the recipes!
ReplyDeleteHi Dawn,
DeleteI'm sure you going to benefit from the healthy changes that are coming your way!
I'd love to get a copy of this book!
ReplyDeleteMel
Good Luck Mel! Thanks for participating in my contest!
DeleteI am also new to this way of eating, but enjoy learning about what is truly nutritious and how it affects our bodies and minds so I would love to win this book.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you!
DeleteThis is hands-down the BEST book for returning this nation (and the world for that matter) to a state of strength and health. Diane has written a book that is easy-to-read, succinct, fun and educational. The pull-out reference guides are very helpful and the pictures pull the reader in.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it looks like I own a copy; I don't. I gave one away so far as a wedding gift and have one checked out from the library. I so want to own a copy of this book and would love to win. I have a lot of people to influence in my little world and this book would help me do a better job.
I've been leading a Paleo-inspired lifestyle for 2 years now and am getting healthier by the month. You have found THE book of the century. Let everyone know! You're saving lives...
Marty! I completely agree! Thanks!
DeleteI'd love to get a copy because I am just starting out on a paleo diet, and need advice/ ideas. Plus i love cookbooks with lots of pictures!
ReplyDeleteHave you checked out Diane's Blog? Lots of recipes and ideas! Thanks!
DeleteMy husband and I have been paleo for a few months now and it has helped us so much. Practical Paleo would really help us nail it down and get a few more recipes into our arsenal. I think it would also be wonderful to have a book to show to my family so they know more about what we are doing. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel,
DeleteWhat health benefits have you seen from going Paleo?
I've been dabbling with paleo but would love to have a solid resource to turn to . . . It would also help me explain the science to my wonderfully supportive but skeptical boyfriend!
ReplyDeleteShe definitely explains the science in this book, but in layman's terms so anyone can get it!
DeleteI would love to learn more about the benefits of eating Paleo. The book looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteSince your Anonymous, I don't know how to reach you in case your win.
DeleteI have this book already but I would love to give this book to my best friend! I can't share because she lives in Ohio and I use it too much to loan it out. :)
ReplyDeleteLove helping others!
I'm sure your friend would really appreciate it! You should tell her to enter as well. good Luck!
DeleteI own a copy, but I'd love to win a copy for my sister. Diane is coming to Seattle for a book signing in three weeks, and I'd love to bring her a pile of books to sign!
ReplyDeleteShe's coming to San Francisco in a week and I can't wait to get my copy signed!
DeleteI've been really wanting to get a copy of this book, was hoping I'd get one for Christmas, but sooner would be even better! Thanks for the in-depth review, makes me want the book even more! :) I'm also looking forward to reading more of your blog posts. I always need inspiration when it comes to grain free recipes (it's relatively new to me). Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteOnce you get it, you'll really love it! I promise. I've been grain free for a few months, though I do eat quinoa and buckwheat once in a while (these aren't exactly grains, but rather seeds). I feel SOOO much better since I made the change.
DeleteI've been wanting to get my hands on this baby!!! So excited about your newfound partnerships :)
ReplyDeleteDiane was so amazing to offer this to me. I am extremely grateful!
DeleteI would love to win a copy of this book! I really want to heal my hashimoto's thyroidius if I can and I hear there is a lot about healing autoimmune disease in her book. I would also like to help out my ma with healthy recipes. thanks for the opportunity!
ReplyDeleteHi Tracey,
DeleteTake a look into Chlorella as part of a heavy metal detox. I've ready that that helps heal the thyroid. Good Luck!
YES!!! Multiple Sclerosis and an absolute inability to digest most starches! Need more recipes to get my family on the Paleo train with me. Can't wait!
ReplyDeletePaleo and a diet fat diet can be beneficial for MS. Our nerves and brain are mostly cholesterol and a low fat diet can aggravate MS and other verve related disorders. Good Luck to you!
DeleteI have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome all while I'm only 30!! I'd love to receive this book for the recipes to incorporate healthier ways of eating and nurturing my body :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Chantel! I have been battling my own unexplainable pain, so I can relate and I'm 29! Have you made any dietary changes already to help alleviate your symptoms?
DeleteI was just about to buy the book ;) I think I will still buy and if I do win wil be great xmas present
ReplyDeleteIt's a great read! I highly recommend getting it.
DeleteFound your blog through Balanced Bites, hoping to win your giveaway! Also looking forward to your blog, I love to cook and am always trying to veer to the healthier side of food!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by Becky! I appreciate it. Good luck to you.
DeleteI have enjoyed trying some of your recipes. I have really been looking for good gluten free sugar free recipes. I have been looking at paleo cookbooks so maybe I will be lucky and win one. Always looking to become healthier and this is a good way.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda! I just posted one today that I'm going to be promoting tomorrow for carob brownies. Hope you like them!
DeleteI would love to win this book, I have been interested in finding more about paleo recipes for a while now. Thanks for doing this!
ReplyDeleteHi Kristi! Thanks so much for stopping by! Good luck!
DeleteI love this book! I've made 15-20 recipes from there and all were amazingly good. And the pictures! Also, lots of explanations as to why eating the paleo way is good for you.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a great book!
DeleteI have this one in my Amazon list!! :D Would LOVE to win it and work on our paleo meals ... really trying to eat better and get kids and hubby on board! Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteit's a great pic! This book rocks!
DeleteI just found your blog and I am getting so hooked! I have a laundry list of digestive issues and I've been told that I should pick this book up and about how much it can help me, so I'd really love to win a copy!
ReplyDeleteThanks Maureen! From personal experience, after several weeks on the paleo lifestyle, my digestive issues are gone!
DeleteThis is such an extensive and well thought out book review, I will likely buy it even after the contest ends!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteI like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..
paleo meal